Sunday 18 June 2017

Hong Kong Open Source Conference 2017

Recently I got the opportunity to be a part of HKOSCon 2017 to present my views and talks on how one get started to contribute to KDE and the impact of data visualizations in financial world.

The atmosphere was filled with enthusiasm and the volunteers were helping the guests and speakers a lot.


KDE !!




What I did?

I was selected as a speaker and presented a talk on KDE regarding the open source contribution made by +The KDE Community with respect to my journey as a Season of KDE student to Google Code In co-administrator. 



I discussed about the recent trends in our community outreach program (SoK) as well as how vast KDE is. 
I also discussed about the plasma development in KDE and how I ported the plasmoids to plasma2. 

I also discussed about the tasks created by KDE in +Google Code-in , thanks to the admin team and constructive mentors. I also discussed a bit about +KDE-Edu game pairs.


How it helps KDE?


My talk helped to spread information about the programs and projects KDE is involved with. New contributors were keen to get involved with KDE as well.

I also discussed about Season of KDE to spread information about the same.


My notes are available at: https://github.com/fallacy321/Talks




Data Visualization: Portfolio management through storytelling using narrative visualization through crossfilter and sc.js


Image may contain: 1 person, standing and indoor

What I did? 

I presented a talk on Data Visualization and its impact on Portfolio Management with hands on crossfilter to stimulate visualizations in dc.js
I discussed about the importance of visualizations and its performance, why we should be knowing more about portfolio management, the concept of storytelling and its impact on performance. 
I also discussed about crossfilter and dc.js and why it is going to be the next big thing !! 


Some of the interesting events/talks I noticed are: 



  • Global FOSS Community Meetup: Open source enthusiasts came together to discuss about the on going events and projects that finds fascinating to work with. I got to know a bit about open source in kernel through Vaishali. Through Vigneshwar, I came to know about MozFest and I am looking forward to it. !! Weng gave an insight of KDE as well. I also got to learn about the importance of culture through a casual discussion over it
  • Better than Free Giveaways - Case Studies of Open Source Business Models: Dr. Haggen So presented a great talk over various open source business models. I also got to know about Creative Common License during the talk
  • npm discussion - I got to know about some handy npm commands such as npm run. I need to explore around it though
I met some interesting people in HKOSCon and a delightful dinner with a beautiful view made it more lively. 
I also got to know about Seekers Capital Group and other firms which found the talks interesting and something they wish to try as well. 

Overall it was a great experience. I wish I could keep on working on interesting stuff which would have a impact in future as well!!

Thank you Hong Kong Open Source Conference for inviting me. It was a great experience !! 
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your text here .....